Monday, July 4, 2011

The Beginning

Thursday morning, Charles and I drove up to Niagara, New York to participate in a re-enactment of the 1759 siege of Fort Niagara.  We turned out with the French marines, Compagnie Dumas, and had a fabulous time.

Here are the highlights:
The food: roasted leg of lamb, venison tenderloin, and a smorgasbord of other goodies.
The music: some singing, and the French fife and drum corps playing the Hogan's Heroes theme during the French surrender.
The silliness: watching and performing in a play written by two members of the group.
The scenery: Fort Niagara has to be one of the prettiest historic sights.
Friday night, there was a country dance in front of the French Castle.

Sunset over Lake Ontario...there are a lot of these because I found it so irresistable!

Handsome Hanson Himself

I look so pensive!

But really, I just can't take my eyes off the view!

Some of the lodgings were rather rustic :)


This is what happens when you're married to a photographer

The sun is about to sink into the ocean...I mean lake.

Ha! Got him back by taking his picture.

The folks next to us counted down to the moment that the sun slipped below the horizon and then we all clapped and cheered. 

After Charles went on his way, I headed into Niagara Falls State Park and took a ride on the Maid of the Mist. This is the skyline of Niagara, Ontario. Hi, Canadians!

The American falls. I just love all the blue ponchos!

The Horseshoe Falls, AKA Canadian Falls. 

I asked someone to take a picture of me...but it's a close-up of my face without the Falls at all. So you just get pictures of other Maid of the Mist boats. 

This made me think of a fairy tale movie set.

Heading back towards the American Falls. 

The gulls were swooping around like crazy, disappearing in and out of the mist. 





I had a great time walking around the park. I tried to go to the Cave of the Winds as usual, but the line was several miles long, so I decided to save that for another time.  It was a beautiful day to walk around!

1 comment: