Friday, July 29, 2011

Thoughts on Travels

I've done a lot of writing about what I've actually done, but I wanted to share a few of my thoughts about what I've been seeing and doing.

1. Sleeping in the car seemed easier than camping.  Never again will that be my choice, unless the alternative is getting soaked to the skin.

2. Taking a nap in a tent might be a hot, sticky business in a desert canyon. But somehow, it's worth it, to look up through the mesh at the top of the tent and see blue skies and sandstone cliffs.

3. Standing in the spray of a waterfall is one of the most simply refreshing experiences I've ever had.

4. I am extremely grateful to have the opportunity to even take this trip.  This gratitude is increased by the fact that in four weeks of travel, hardly any of the days have been oppressively hot and humid.

5. I have discovered that I can be more outgoing than I ever imagined. I've talked to all kinds of people on my trip, despite those childhood warnings not to talk to strangers. Whether it was the shared experience of Harry Potter, or swapping tales with fellow hikers, there is a whole friendly world out there.

6. I love this country more and more as I travel through it. I am utterly fascinated by the quick changes that can occur in the landscape and the utter variety of terrain that I have covered in my 7,000 miles of driving.  It's incredible to go from barren desert sands to lush forests and rivers within a single day.

7.  I took this road trip not because I loved driving or thought I would enjoy life on the road, but out of a desire to see as much of the country as possible without spending a fortune on airfare. Not to mention, many of the places I've visited have not been exactly convenient to fly to. Along the way, I have learned to love this rather crazy life on the road. I enjoyed some of the long hours on the road, taking in the landscape, listening to music, and occasionally just thinking. All the way, I've been thinking of other road trip routes, other places or ways to travel.

8. I'll be home in less than a week, which hardly seems real. In a way, this has become my life. I'm looking forward to being home, not having to lug suitcases to a different place every night, seeing my puppy, and my family and friends. But at the same time, I'm going to miss my travels. There are so many things I would have liked to see, so many suggestions I would have loved to have taken, but there were always choices.

9. I'm developing a deep love for the West/Pacific Northwest.  Seattle, Portland, Boulder.  I love the mountains and feel like I could stare at them all day. I love all the amazing vegetarian food, and the independent spirit that seems to infuse the air. The casual atmosphere, without the frenetic energy of DC and so many other places on the East Coast.  Hiking. Wildlife.  Nature.  It's utterly majestic, and humanity feels like a speck rather than a tumor.  Ok, so it brings out my inner hippy a little bit and makes me feel super guilty if I don't recycle my water bottle.  Small businesses. Horses and trail rides. I think I was in Boulder five minutes before I decided I wanted to move here, despite long winters and massive amounts of snow. Maybe I should experience winter here first.

10. Vegetarian food is amazing. I'm not vegetarian, or planning on becoming one. I like meat, and feel that my body needs it. But my friend DJ in Chicago has this theory that vegetarian food is actually better...and I think there's something to it. To entice people to give up their evolutionary desire for meat, something tasty needs to be offered in return. I have not had a single disappointing vegetarian meal on this trip, but I've had quite a few disappointing burgers. I'm feeling inspired to cook more vegetarian meals when I get home, and choose vegetarian options more often when I eat out. Don't worry though, I won't be giving up bacon anytime soon. (Which is probably the only pork I've eaten on my entire trip).

No comments:

Post a Comment